Source: COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD
of HARTFORD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT
(Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent
and Representative Citizens, and of Many of the Early Settled
Families.) Illustrated. Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1901.
JOHN COLLINS, a leading grocer of Plantsville, is a self-made
man who, without pecuniary advantage at the commencement of
life, battled earnestly and energetically, and by indomitable
courage and integrity has achieved success. By sheer force and
will and untiring effort he has worked his way upward.
Mr. Collins was born in County Kerry, Ireland, December
23, 1844, a son of John and Jane (McCarthy) Collins, who came
to America in 1849, and located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
There our subject was educated in the common schools, and there
he remained until 15 years of age. In 1859 he became a resident
of Plantsville, Hartford County, Connecticut, where he was employed
in the bolt shop of the Plant Manufacturing Co. until 1863,
and then worked as a molder for the Peck, Smith & Wilcox
Co., until 1868. In the latter year he embarked in the grocery
business, to which he has since devoted his time and attention
with the most gratifying results. He is now the oldest merchant,
in years of continuous business, in Plantsville. He erected
his present block in 1870, and has the best appointed store
in the place
In November, 1872, Mr. Collins married Miss Hannah Carmody,
a daughter of John and Hannah Carmody of Plantsville, and to
them were born two daughters, Maggie and Annie. Mr. Collins
is a member of the Catholic Church, and of the Ancient Order
of Hibernians. He is unswerving in his allegiance to the Democratic
Party, and has most efficiently served as a member of the board
of assessors four years, as a member of the board of burgesses
for the same length of time.